LaRocca Hornik Rosen Greenberg & Crupi, LLC

Call for a Consultation

732-246-2112 Attorney Advertising

NY Office

Try these 3 methods for working out a parenting plan

Working out a parenting plan can be difficult. You and your ex may not agree, and you might think that you have to go to court to ask a judge to make a ruling because of the difficulties you're running into. Spending time in court is the last thing you want to have to do. It's expensive and time-consuming, and there are many other options available. Try one of these three methods to come to a parenting plan agreement before you turn to a court for assistance.

Informal agreements can be amicable

You and your ex likely have your own attorneys, so working out an informal agreement is still possible. To start with, you both should write down the things you want to see in your parenting plan. When items match up, they can be included in the plan. For things that don't line up, you can write down what you'd like to see happen and if there's any negotiation to which you would be amenable. Keep exchanging this information as long as you can do so amicably. Present as much of the agreed-upon parenting plan as possible to your attorneys. At this point, your attorneys can negotiate for you, or you can choose to have your attorneys turn the agreement into a formal document.

Mediation helps you take matters into your own hands

If you can't work together without fighting but think you can work together long enough to come up with an amicable solution to your child's needs, it may be a good choice to have a third party present. With mediation, you and the other parent work together with the help of an attorney or mediator who helps you both come up with positive solutions to parenting concerns. The mediator won't give you a solution, but he or she can help you come up with one that you both agree upon by helping you see the benefits or pitfalls of each suggestion.

Arbitration is a structured, viable option

Another alternative to heading to trial over parenting concerns is going through the arbitration process. With arbitration, you and the other party both bring up your concerns and your suggestions. You work with your attorney to provide evidence and to present your arguments to the arbitrator or judge working on your case. This is a more structured solution than mediation, because the decision could be binding if both parties agree to go through binding arbitration motions together. If you don't want to go through binding arbitration, nonbinding arbitration still provides you with the ruling of the judge or arbitrator, but it's not legally binding.

These are a few ways you can work through your parenting plan issues without having to go to court; try them, and you may be pleased with the outcome.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Contact Our Firm

To schedule a consultation, call LaRocca Hornik Rosen Greenberg & Crupi, LLC at 732-246-2112 or contact us online.

From our offices in Freehold and New York, we serve clients in

  • Monmouth County
  • Ocean County
  • Middlesex County
  • Central New Jersey

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

  • newjersey
  • avvo-rating
  • peer-rated-for-highest-level-of-professional-excellence
  • new-jersey-supreme-court

Freehold Office
83 South Street, Suite 302
Freehold, NJ 07728

Phone: 732-246-2112
Fax: 732-409-0350
Freehold Law Office Map

New York Office
40 Wall Street
32nd Floor
New York, NY 10005

Phone: 732-246-2112
Fax: 212-530-4815
Map & Directions

review us

At LaRocca Hornik Rosen Greenberg & Crupi, LLC we value your feedback. Please leave us a review.