LaRocca Hornik Rosen Greenberg & Crupi, LLC

Call for a Consultation

732-246-2112 Attorney Advertising

NY Office

You may need to request a child support modification

Even after a divorce, it goes without saying that you still want to be a great parent. This can mean many things, such as paying your child support in full and on time every month.

If you find that you are unable to make your full child support payment and have reason to believe that this will continue, it's time to think about requesting a modification.

There is more to requesting a child support modification than simply telling the court that you are unable to make your payment in full. You need to have a change in circumstances that backs up your request.

If the time comes to request a child support modification, here are four things you should do:

-- Act now, not later. You must stay current with your payments until a modification is granted. This is why you need to act quickly.

-- Reach out to the other parent. You may be able to avoid the court by discussing your situation with the other parent. The court will have to approve the change, but at least you can work out the finer details on your own.

-- Do your best to keep up. Even if you are unable to make your payments in full, you should try to keep up to the best of your ability.

-- Keep notes with regard to your change in circumstances. If you lost a job or have been diagnosed with a serious illness, you should collect proof that can back up your modification request.

Finally, you need to make your request with the court that issued your order in the first place. As noted above, this is something that you should do as quickly as possible, as there is no good reason to delay.

In a perfect world, you would be able to make your child support payments in full every month. You would never have to worry about struggling to do so. Unfortunately, you could find yourself facing a challenge at some point down the road.

If you have reason to believe that your struggles will last, you should look into requesting a child support modification. This could give you the breathing room you need for the time being.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Contact Our Firm

To schedule a consultation, call LaRocca Hornik Rosen Greenberg & Crupi, LLC at 732-246-2112 or contact us online.

From our offices in Freehold and New York, we serve clients in

  • Monmouth County
  • Ocean County
  • Middlesex County
  • Central New Jersey

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

  • newjersey
  • avvo-rating
  • peer-rated-for-highest-level-of-professional-excellence
  • new-jersey-supreme-court

Freehold Office
83 South Street, Suite 302
Freehold, NJ 07728

Phone: 732-246-2112
Fax: 732-409-0350
Freehold Law Office Map

New York Office
40 Wall Street
32nd Floor
New York, NY 10005

Phone: 732-246-2112
Fax: 212-530-4815
Map & Directions

review us

At LaRocca Hornik Rosen Greenberg & Crupi, LLC we value your feedback. Please leave us a review.