LaRocca Hornik Rosen Greenberg & Crupi, LLC

Call for a Consultation

732-246-2112 Attorney Advertising

NY Office

Can I end my marriage without getting a divorce?

Marriage is a legally-binding arrangement, and in nearly all cases, a divorce is required to bring the marriage to a close. However, divorce can be costly, difficult to navigate and stressful. This might make you wonder: Is there a way to end a marriage without going through a divorce?

There is one way that you might be able to end your marriage, but it will only work in a select few cases: annulment.

Under what circumstances can you annul a marriage?

Marriages that you can annul are rare, but, it may be possible. Here are few examples of situations in which you might be able to annul your marriage:

  • Fraud: If one or the other spouses lied prior to marriage, and, had the truth been known, the other spouse would have had cause to not go through with the marriage, annulment could be possible.
  • Mental illness: If you or your spouse was mentally ill at the time of the marriage, it could be possible for the marriage to be annulled -- because the mentally ill person might not have been making clear decisions at the time. If the person was temporarily insane, the same concept applies.
  • Being drunk: Individuals who get married while they were drunk could legally argue that they were never actually married.
  • Duress: Imagine someone is forced to get married because he or she faced manipulation -- be it through the threat of violence or financial manipulation. This might lead to a court ruling that the person married under duress and did not actually give his or her free consent to the marriage.
  • Couldn't consummate the marriage: This basically means that the person who got married was incurably impotent and unable to have sexual intercourse and the other party didn't know at the time of marriage that this was the case.
  • One spouse was already married: It's illegal to get married twice. For those who are already married, any secondary marriage will be subject to annulment.

Do you want to get your marriage annulled?

The above situations are not the only ones in which annulment is possible, but they are the most common reasons for annulment. If you believe that your marriage is unlawful or that you could be able to cancel it through annulment, be sure to fully understand all the legal issues that pertain to your situation.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Contact Our Firm

To schedule a consultation, call LaRocca Hornik Rosen Greenberg & Crupi, LLC at 732-246-2112 or contact us online.

From our offices in Freehold and New York, we serve clients in

  • Monmouth County
  • Ocean County
  • Middlesex County
  • Central New Jersey

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

  • newjersey
  • avvo-rating
  • peer-rated-for-highest-level-of-professional-excellence
  • new-jersey-supreme-court

Freehold Office
83 South Street, Suite 302
Freehold, NJ 07728

Phone: 732-246-2112
Fax: 732-409-0350
Freehold Law Office Map

New York Office
40 Wall Street
32nd Floor
New York, NY 10005

Phone: 732-246-2112
Fax: 212-530-4815
Map & Directions

review us

At LaRocca Hornik Rosen Greenberg & Crupi, LLC we value your feedback. Please leave us a review.