LaRocca Hornik Rosen Greenberg & Crupi, LLC

Call for a Consultation

732-246-2112 Attorney Advertising

NY Office

What to consider when keeping the family home after a divorce

Determining whether or not to keep the family home can be one of the biggest decisions a former New Jersey couple may have to make during a divorce. While many former spouses want to keep the family home, especially if there are children involved, there are a few factors that the former couple should consider before making a final decision.

When former spouses agree that one person should keep the home, the other person usually signs a quit claim deed. This releases that person's interest in the home, meaning that, if the home is sold in the future, that person is not entitled to any of the proceeds from the sale. However, signing a quit claim deed does not release the person's liability, meaning he or she could be held responsible if the other former spouse fails to make the mortgage payments.

One way to avoid the situation above is to have the former spouse who is keeping the home refinance so that the other person is no longer on the loan. Further, the buyout should be treated as a transaction with a stranger, meaning the same steps should be taken as if the home was just being purchased. This means completing a new appraisal, completing a pest control inspection, purchasing a one-year home warranty policy and have a second title search completed.

Going through a divorce can be difficult for everyone involved, especially when it comes to property division. A family law attorney may assist those who have obtained significant marital assets throughout their marriage divide up those assets fairly. This is particularly true if the divorce involves complex property issues, such as if the divorce involves hidden assets, international property holdings and division of stock options. The attorney may work to negotiate a division that is equitable and that also protects a person's interests.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Contact Our Firm

To schedule a consultation, call LaRocca Hornik Rosen Greenberg & Crupi, LLC at 732-246-2112 or contact us online.

From our offices in Freehold and New York, we serve clients in

  • Monmouth County
  • Ocean County
  • Middlesex County
  • Central New Jersey

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

  • newjersey
  • avvo-rating
  • peer-rated-for-highest-level-of-professional-excellence
  • new-jersey-supreme-court

Freehold Office
83 South Street, Suite 302
Freehold, NJ 07728

Phone: 732-246-2112
Fax: 732-409-0350
Freehold Law Office Map

New York Office
40 Wall Street
32nd Floor
New York, NY 10005

Phone: 732-246-2112
Fax: 212-530-4815
Map & Directions

review us

At LaRocca Hornik Rosen Greenberg & Crupi, LLC we value your feedback. Please leave us a review.