LaRocca Hornik Rosen Greenberg & Crupi, LLC

Call for a Consultation

732-246-2112 Attorney Advertising

NY Office

These questions will determine if you can receive child support

Most single parents who are struggling to make financial ends meet will want to know if they can receive child support money from the other parent of their child. To determine your right to receive this helpful support, there are several questions single parents will want to ask:

Are you the custodial parent?

In most cases, the custodial parent of a child -- i.e., the parent with whom the child lives -- will be able to receive child support payments from the noncustodial parent. The noncustodial parent is the parent who has visitation rights, but is not the primary caretaker of the children on a day-to-day basis.

In many cases, the mothers of children end up becoming the custodial parents and the fathers are the noncustodial parents. However, this is by no means a requirement of New Jersey law. The courts will usually award the "primary caretaker" with custodial parent status.

Do you share joint custody with the other parent?

In many cases of joint custody, when the children spend time living with each parent equally, neither of the parents will need to pay child custody. However, if there is a significant income disparity between the parents, then one of the joint custodial parents may need to pay the other parent child support.

Other questions to ask to determine child support eligibility

There are a few more questions you'll want to answer "yes" to if you hope to receive child support payments:

  • Is the location of the other parent of your child known and do you have this individual's basic details?
  • Has the parental status of the other parent been legally verified?
  • Have you gone through the legal steps necessary to obtain a child support order?


After reviewing the above questions, you should have a general idea about your capacity to receive child support payments. A deeper understanding of New Jersey family law will also give you a clearer picture regarding the steps you'll need to take in order to secure this vital financial assistance.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Contact Our Firm

To schedule a consultation, call LaRocca Hornik Rosen Greenberg & Crupi, LLC at 732-246-2112 or contact us online.

From our offices in Freehold and New York, we serve clients in

  • Monmouth County
  • Ocean County
  • Middlesex County
  • Central New Jersey

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

  • newjersey
  • avvo-rating
  • peer-rated-for-highest-level-of-professional-excellence
  • new-jersey-supreme-court

Freehold Office
83 South Street, Suite 302
Freehold, NJ 07728

Phone: 732-246-2112
Fax: 732-409-0350
Freehold Law Office Map

New York Office
40 Wall Street
32nd Floor
New York, NY 10005

Phone: 732-246-2112
Fax: 212-530-4815
Map & Directions

review us

At LaRocca Hornik Rosen Greenberg & Crupi, LLC we value your feedback. Please leave us a review.