LaRocca Hornik Rosen Greenberg & Crupi, LLC

Call for a Consultation

732-246-2112 Attorney Advertising

NY Office

Enforcing child support payment

Even though the court may decide that a non-custodial parent is responsible for paying child support, it is not always the case that parents come through on their financial obligations. Fortunately, the Child Support Agency in New Jersey has several tools at its disposal, all of which have the power to compel the delinquent parent to pay what they owe. Furthermore, the state of New Jersey keeps a digital record of all the child support payments due along with the ones that have been paid.

There are many things the Child Support Agency can do to enforce payment, starting by taking the money by force, which can take the form of income withholding or asset seizure. Additionally, if the non-custodial parent is supposed to receive federal or state tax refunds, they may be denied said refunds, which will be directed toward paying for the child support. Similarly, delinquent parents who win money playing the lottery or at a casino will be forced to pay child support from their winnings, especially if these winnings are above a certain limit.

On the other hand, rather than taking the money out of the parent's pocket, the Child Support Agency can limit the debtor's movements instead. For instance, they can report the debt owed to credit agencies, harming the debtor's credit score as well as their chances of getting another loan later down the road. They can also have their license revoked, which happens automatically when an arrest warrant is issued in their name. The Child Support Agency can even go as far as having the delinquent parent's application for a passport denied in certain cases.

In very extreme cases, the court might have to step in and take action, and its decisions may include issuing an arrest warrant. As a result of all of this, it may be a good idea for parents to reach out to an experienced attorney. A family law attorney may inform them of their legal options at every turn as well as the possible repercussions.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Contact Our Firm

To schedule a consultation, call LaRocca Hornik Rosen Greenberg & Crupi, LLC at 732-246-2112 or contact us online.

From our offices in Freehold and New York, we serve clients in

  • Monmouth County
  • Ocean County
  • Middlesex County
  • Central New Jersey

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

  • newjersey
  • avvo-rating
  • peer-rated-for-highest-level-of-professional-excellence
  • new-jersey-supreme-court

Freehold Office
83 South Street, Suite 302
Freehold, NJ 07728

Phone: 732-246-2112
Fax: 732-409-0350
Freehold Law Office Map

New York Office
40 Wall Street
32nd Floor
New York, NY 10005

Phone: 732-246-2112
Fax: 212-530-4815
Map & Directions

review us

At LaRocca Hornik Rosen Greenberg & Crupi, LLC we value your feedback. Please leave us a review.