LaRocca Hornik Rosen Greenberg & Crupi, LLC

Call for a Consultation

732-246-2112 Attorney Advertising

NY Office

Skipping out on child support in New Jersey could limit travel

Those thinking about escaping the country to frolic in the sand and sun of exotic clime, but who haven't been supporting their children, just might have to rethink their plans. According to the New Jersey Department of Human Services, skipping out on child support payments could mean the refusal of a passport application. If a noncustodial parent is behind in support payments of $2,500 or more, he or she may have to plan a vacation within U.S. borders.

There are certain instances where the payor could contest the passport application refusal decision. They include if a passport is needed to work-related travel; in the event of a family emergency or imminent death of a loved one or if arrears never exceeded $2,500. Cases in which payors are behind in their support payments are referred to the Federal Office of Child Support Enforcement (OCSE) by the New Jersey Child Support Program.

The OCSE is part of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, which works with the U.S. Department of State to deny passport applications or renewals for anyone who reaches or passes $2,500 in child support owing. New Jersey is one of the states that has a policy with zero arrears. What that means is a payor must pay up in full before he or she will have a passport restriction removed.

New Jersey takes paying child support very seriously. Some payors and payees may not be aware of the ramifications that could ensue if payments are consistently not being made. Consulting with an experienced lawyer may shed light on important and often confusing issues like child support payments that could have far-reaching effects for everyone concerned. 

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Contact Our Firm

To schedule a consultation, call LaRocca Hornik Rosen Greenberg & Crupi, LLC at 732-246-2112 or contact us online.

From our offices in Freehold and New York, we serve clients in

  • Monmouth County
  • Ocean County
  • Middlesex County
  • Central New Jersey

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

  • newjersey
  • avvo-rating
  • peer-rated-for-highest-level-of-professional-excellence
  • new-jersey-supreme-court

Freehold Office
83 South Street, Suite 302
Freehold, NJ 07728

Phone: 732-246-2112
Fax: 732-409-0350
Freehold Law Office Map

New York Office
40 Wall Street
32nd Floor
New York, NY 10005

Phone: 732-246-2112
Fax: 212-530-4815
Map & Directions

review us

At LaRocca Hornik Rosen Greenberg & Crupi, LLC we value your feedback. Please leave us a review.