Is the other parent capable of meeting your child’s needs?

When debating what type of child custody is best for you and your soon-to-be ex, it’s important to consider the ability of both parents to tend to the needs of your child. Some people simply aren’t cut out to be parents. For example, their level of maturity, their mental and physical health status, or their histories of violent or criminal actions in the past may get in the way of their ability to serve as caretaker.

Here are a few scenarios in which you might want to consider taking action to ensure the custody orders revoke the other parent’s parental rights.

The parent has abandoned his or her child

If the other parent went AWOL on your family, disappeared and never sent any kind of financial support, or never attempted to make contact with your child, this parent may not be fit to serve as caretaker. In situations of family abandonment, a New Jersey court may choose to revoke the parental rights of the individual who left.

The parent has a serious drug or alcohol problem

A child raised by an addict could be placed at risk emotionally and physically. Courts will probably award full custody to the sober parent in situations where one parent is suffering from a serious drug or alcohol problem. The court may, however, award supervised visitation rights so that the parent with the addiction issue can still form a relationship with the child in a safe and protected way, as this will ultimately benefit the child in the long run.

The parent committed violent or sexual abuse in the past

A parent who committed acts of domestic violence or sexual abuse against family members in the past may have his or her parental rights revoked by the court. Such a person clearly is not suitable to raise or care for a sensitive child.

When you need to withdrawal the other parent’s parental rights

Are you dealing with a parent who isn’t fit to serve as a mother or father? If the other parent of your child endangered his or her safety in any way — and therefore isn’t an appropriate person to serve as a caretaker — it’s important that you take action immediately. Fortunately, you will have various options available to help you take action under New Jersey family law.