Parents’ Responsibilities For College Expenses

In a landmark case (Newburgh v. Arrigo), the New Jersey Supreme Court ruled that divorced parents are responsible for paying college expenses for their children. Subsequent cases have clarified some of the issues concerning college costs, but others are yet to be decided.

Rapidly rising tuition at public and private colleges in recent years has caused many parents to panic over this requirement. What if the child wants to go to an elite, high-cost private college? What if there are younger children who also want to go to college? What if the parents’ income means they can barely make ends meet now?

Experienced Child Support Lawyers

At LaRocca Hornik Rosen Greenberg & Crupi, LLC, in Freehold, we have answers to these and other questions regarding divorced parents’ responsibilities for college expenses. We also have creative solutions that can make it easier for parents to cover their children’s college expenses.

To learn more about college expenses for children, call us at 732-246-2112. We represent parents in Monmouth County, Ocean County, Middlesex County and central New Jersey.

The Right Divorce Settlement Can Save You Money And Headaches

The decisions you make during the divorce process can help you avoid future problems concerning college expenses. For example, a divorce settlement can specify certain items such as:

  • Percentages of expenses each parent will contribute
  • The types of expenses that will be covered
  • The type of school the parents will contribute funds for (for example, private college, public university or community college)
  • A stipulation that one or both parents will contribute to a 529 tax-free educational expenses account

Our lawyers can review your situation and provide advice concerning these and other matters.

Experienced And Knowledgeable Attorneys

One of our attorneys, Frank LaRocca, has been certified by the New Jersey Supreme Court in Matrimonial Law. He is among a select number of attorneys in the state who have received this honor.

Contact Our Firm

To schedule a consultation about college expenses or child support, call LaRocca Hornik Rosen Greenberg & Crupi, LLC at 732-246-2112 or contact us online.